6.20.2011

You look good in my shirt...

I have always had an affinity towards men's shirting fabric and thought it would translate well into children's clothes. When my kids were young I took my husband's monogrammed shirts and made pajama bottoms for them. I re-sized the pocket and made it a back pocket on the pants. They lasted through three kids. I must have pictures somewhere.
I did a stint for a custom woman's shirt designer and got spoiled looking at fine french and italian fabrics; luxury.

I found a great blog, Made by Dana, when I first stumbled on blogs and haven't turned back since. 
This tutorial was my inspiration for some new dresses re-fashioned from men's shirts. My husband passes along some wonderful fabrics and gets to see his girls wearing his patterns. 
http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-shirt-dress.html
 The first go at it
 Ideas are coming...
Dress number two. This time I used a two inch grosgrain ribbon instead of making the waistband with contrasting fabric. Seemed quicker and I like the pop.
 I made one for a friends daughter for Father's Day with her husbands high school shirt.
Men just can't seem to let those memories go so what a great way to keep them!
 Then I had the idea to do a skirt which is a knock off from one of my daughter's favorite mini boden skirts.
Took me a bit longer without a pattern but it came out great!
I wonder what else I can make?!?

1 comment:

  1. Adorable! I would have never thought to do that with a shirt. Brooke looks just darling. Nice work, Mom! XO

    ReplyDelete